Tuesday, July 2, 2013

books signings - fierce reads recap | 2

Fierce Reads Spring Book Tour

Featuring: Leigh Bardugo | Anna Banks | Emmy Laybourne | Jessica Brody
Date: Tuesday, June 11, 2013 @ 6pm | Memphis, TN | The Booksellers at Laurelwood

Fierce Reads Panel

This is a little late, but I still wanted to share the awesome road trip to the Fierce Reads event in Memphis, TN back in June. Side note: The blog has been a little neglected due to real life getting a little hectic. New website launch at work, and getting on the computer at home just didn't sound fun. And, I'm in the process of buying a house, a fixer-upper at that. I lovingly refer to it as my HGTV house. So, a lot of work ahead of me.

Back to the event, it was held by The Booksellers at Laurelwood. This was the second time I've gone to an event there, and the staff always does a great job with the moderators and refreshments. Books, authors, and cupcakes! Great bookstore to visit if you ever find yourself in Memphis.

Leigh Bardugo, Anna Banks, Emmy Laybourne, and Jessica Brody were all there promoting their latest books. While I had only read the Grisha books and Of Poseidon, all the authors were interesting to listen to. Emmy revealed that she has some bizarre first date questions that deal with survival scenarios. Imagine a first date asking you, if a major disaster happens how would you survive? That is beyond hilarious, but I bet it shed some light on the date's personality. Also according to Jessica, if you read her book, you'll apparently never be able to passively walk through a Target, Sam's, or Costco.

Unremembered sounds intriguing, reminded me slightly of Lost, one of my all time favorite TV shows, with the twists of memory loss and supernatural powers. But couldn't you possibly see the Lost writers eventually adding these elements if the seasons went any further? Yes. Picked up the first chapters in printed form, which was the first time I had ever seen this promo tool. Ingenious!

Now for my true drawl to the event, Leigh Bardugo and the Grisha Trilogy. For a week, I was fingerling about Siege and Storm and getting to hear Leigh speak. She did not disappoint, there was great insight to the characters and story. One question and answer that nearly had me rolling on the floor, Anything funny surrounding your book or tour? Leigh stated that she had been on Tumbler a lot lately and had come across some smutty fanfic, eliciting the response of "Uoh, my babies!"

The event was well-organized and definitely worth the drive over. Great questions by the audience (the linchpin to any event, in my opinion). All the authors were having fun and enjoying the tour, very visible from the audience. Thanks to MacMillian and Fierce Reads (who by the way has the best sway ever! Posters, bookmarks, a Shadow and Bone button "Whatever. Summon This.", and a bag!)

Fierce Reads Signed Books
-crj

No comments:

Post a Comment