Thursday, March 14, 2013

review - Defiance

Defiance Cover Image

Five Stars
Defiance
by: C.J. Redwine

Publication Date: August 28, 2012
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Series: Courier's Daughter Trilogy #1
Format: Hardcover
Page Count: 403
Genre: Fantasy, YA
Get your copy: Amazon | B&N

Add to Goodreads

Summary: Within the walls of Baalboden, beneath the shadow of the city's brutal leader, Rachel Adams has a secret. While other girls sew dresses and obey their male Protectors, Rachel knows how to survive in the wilderness and deftly wield a sword. When her father, Jared, fails to return from a courier mission and is declared dead, the Commander assigns Rachel a new Protector, her father's apprentice, Logan--the same boy Rachel declared her love for two years ago, and the same one who handed her heart right back to her. Left with nothing but a fierce belief in her father's survival, Rachel decides to escape and find him herself. But treason against the Commander carries a heavy price, and what awaits her in the Wasteland could destroy her.

At nineteen, Logan McEntire is many things. Orphan. Outcast. Inventor. As apprentice to the city's top courier, Logan is focused on learning his trade so he can escape the tyranny of Baalboden. But his plan never included being responsible for his mentor's impulsive daughter. Logan is determined to protect her, but when his escape plan goes wrong and Rachel pays the price, he realizes he has more at stake than disappointing Jared.

As Rachel and Logan battle their way through the Wasteland, stalked by a monster that can't be killed and an army of assassins out for blood, they discover romance, heartbreak, and a truth that will incite a war decades in the making.


Summary and cover image from goodreads.

Defiance Header Image
My Review
I am in absolute awe of this book and C.J. Redwine.

The best part of Defiance was Logan's POV chapters. I have never quoted so many lines from a book; his voice was spot on and swoon-worthy. Logan is a thinker, a tinkerer, and he stole my nerd-girl heart. I vividly remember reading the section where he is defending Rachel, and those present were looking in surprise, wondering where his strength came from.

Logan and Rachel together was also great; they really are two sides of a coin, the impulsive doer and the logical planner.

Rachel's struggles through the book were gut-wrenching. Disappearance of her father, the one person who treated her as she wanted to be treated. Forced to be protected by the one she proclaimed her love for, only to be told she'll get over said love. Humiliating! Oliver, tears! She keeps a clear head and fights for what she believes.

Read this book.
Best case scenario: You fall just in love with it as I did.
Worst case scenario: There isn't one, you'll love it.
(2 points for those who get that reference)

My Favorite Quotes
"I smile, and it takes me a minute to realize my common sense is once again sliding into Kiss Rachel territory." -Logan page 80

"His smile is a slow journey of warmth that lights up his face and lingers in his eyes." -Rachel page 87

"I will always find you. I will always protect you. I won't let you down. I promise. … I never thought I'd be in a position to offer you protection, but I am. And nothing is going to stop me." -Logan page 171

"I want Rachel. Not because she is beautiful. Not because she's my responsibility. I want her because she makes me laugh. Makes me think. Inspires me to be the kind of man I always hoped I'd be." -Logan page 235

"Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - Logan page 240
-crj

No comments:

Post a Comment